Goodman Law Group, P.C.
520 S 4th St,
Las Vegas, NV 89101
Phone: (702) 383 – 5088
Fax: (702) 385 – 5088
In our previous article, we've talked about the effects of Domestic Violence on the victim, the children and the accused. Let us now discuss the effects of Domestic Violence to the family and the community:
Domestic violence has a serious effect on the whole family as well. Here are a few examples:
- Family conflict – Families who experience domestic violence can lose the “bond” that they share. They might grow apart from each other, feel uncomfortable with each other, and can lose the “love” that they once shared. Couples usually end up in a divorce.
- Financial constraint – if both parents are working, the family income may be split in half. There is a great chance that the victim will shoulder the household expenses. If the victim's income will not be enough to support the whole family. The victim could end up borrowing money or applying for a loan. This often also leads to bankruptcy especially if the family has a lot of members.
- Involvement of local authorities – Protection orders can have a negative effect on the family. The children may feel intimidated by the presence of the police. The family as a whole can lose their privacy.
- Bad advertisement – Any negative statistic impacts the community. If there is a high case of drug and alcohol use, the community can lose their real estate value. It can turn-away possible homeowners and investors.
- Crime rates – Children who grew up in a violent home may suffer from many behavioral problems such as poor social development, depression, anger, and anxiety. They are prone to join gangs, groups or clubs. They can also be involved in drugs, robberies, and sexual crimes.
- Healthcare cost – According to study, victims of domestic violence are paying 92% more on health care plans, due to frequent medications and medical consultations. The study is based on domestic violence victims vs random samples.
- Economic cost – Poor job performance in relation to domestic violence is costly. Companies report that costs can reach to hundreds of millions every year. Poor performance can also lead to unemployment. Unemployment can lead to lesser tax for the local government and there will be an increase in subsidy.
Domestic violence should be taken seriously. It has a great impact to the family and the community.
If you know someone who is accused of domestic violence, contact a Las Vegas Domestic Violence Lawyer. Ross Goodman has extensive experience with domestic violence cases in Las Vegas, Nevada. Call Goodman Law Group at (702) 383 – 5088 for a free consultation.